Are you prepared to take your job search under the water line?
What is the best way to find a job? For a start, you have to develop an effective strategy that will enable you to find a suitable job as quickly as possible and with the least amount of trouble and effort. If your strategy is not working, you need to review the way you’re looking for a particular job.
It is said that only 30% of job vacancies are openly advertised to the public. This leaves an amazing 70% of jobs that are left to be found in the ‘hidden job market’! The question that arises is: with the limited time you have got, where do you look for a job? Is there a best method or strategy when conducting a job-search?
Experts say that one in every three job hunters become unsuccessful because they abandoned their job hunt prematurely. When asked why, many would say: ‘I never thought that this would take so long and I ran out of energy.’ As a result, it’s wise to invest what energy you do have into a job-hunting strategy where the odds are more favourable! Which strategy should you adopt for job hunting? The answer is: a varied approach.
The 30% visible job market
- The Internet is now an essential method to consider when making job searches and applications. 78% of recruitment companies advertise job vacancies online and there are currently around 1000 online Job Boards in the UK.
- Jobcentre Plus advertise job vacancies on public display boards. Visit Jobseekers Direct for more details.
- Local and National Newspapers are a good source of vacancies. For larger newspapers find out which days they advertise certain jobs. Obtain a list from WH Smith and all large newsagents.
- Professional and Trade Journals relate to particular sectors of work, and can be an excellent source of vacancies.
- Recruitment Agencies have the advantage of working closely with employers. Some agencies deal with specific vacancies such as catering, whilst others cover a variety of different occupations.
- Job and Careers Fairs can provide information about recruiting trends, career options and current openings in specific organisations. They will also give you the opportunity to develop your network of career contacts. Keep an eye open in local & national press for up-coming events.
The 70% hidden job market
- Networking/Using your contacts. Many vacancies are never actually advertised but rely on staff already working in the organisation to spread the word. Ask your friends and relatives to keep a lookout for you in their companies. Social media such as Linked In, Twitter and Facebook are now, of course, essential networking tools.
- Speculative Approaches. This is an excellent way of approaching companies of particular interest to you. Using the Chambers of Commerce, your local knowledge or Yellow Pages Directory, Kompass UK and Kellysearch, track down employers and send your CV with a well thought-out covering letter, asking if they have any vacancies at present or expect to have any in the near future.
- Voluntary Work. Voluntary offers an excellent way to gain work experience, and is also viewed by employers as being potentially as valuable as paid employment. It can offer a much needed break to get you into a particular job sector. Visit do-it.org.uk for voluntary opportunities around the UK.
Charles Humphreys is an experienced careers coach and founder www.want2geton.co.uk, a Christian based careers coaching service.